You’re immediately thrust into a cutscene that drops you into a battlefield.
There are on-screen hints to help you through this part and you have the option of completely taking your time to get to understand the combat system, in case you’re not used to it.
Your abilities include:
- A: Bull Rush
- B: Spartan Kick
- X: Battle Cry of Ares
- Y: Ring of Chaos
Once you think you’re sufficient in combat, go to the warrior with a yellow marker, which will trigger a semi-boss battle.
- Battle Cry of Ares for more attack power and to take less fatal damage.
- Spartan Kick him off guard.
- Dodge when he glows red. (Longer dodges are more recommended than the simple rolls.)
Once the battle is over, in comes another cutscene that’ll allow you to choose your options. Note that you can always change these later in the main menu.
- Easy: For players focusing on the story, or who are not very familiar with RPG mechanics.
- Normal: The standard experience for players who are familiar with RPG mechanics.
- Hard: For players looking for a challenge, who are also experts with RPG mechanics.
- Nightmare: You like pain–this’ll hurt. If you come out the other side, you’ll be a champion.
CHOOSE GAMEPLAY MODE:
- Guided Mode: A more traditional experience. Markers are displayed at all times, and quest objectives are given to you automatically.
- Exploration Mode: A newer approach to playstyle. The user must investigate the world to uncover targets and quest objectives. This is the way Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is meant to be experienced.
This is all personal preference. Nothing major changes within the game, whichever one you do pick. But there will be minor changes throughout.